Moving to Texas might feel like a big deal to outsiders, it’s a behemoth of a state and might seem imposing, but there are endless reasons why you should move to Texas in 2022. We’ve tried to boil them down to the top 5, and that was no easy task.
What To Expect In Texas
Texas is a unique state within the US. The Lone Star State prides itself on being different and doing things their own way, and God help anyone who tries to stop them. There are, unsurprisingly, a few pros and cons of Texas that make it a different place to live:
- Warmer weather: There’s no escaping the fact that Texas is a hot place to live, but you’d be wrong to think that the weather was unbearable. The state is well equipped to deal with the heat and the majority of the time it’s not noticeable. Be wary of hurricane season if you choose to move to the Gulf Coast and tornadoes across the state.
- Lower taxes: And by lower taxes, we mean no income tax at all. Put alongside a very low state sales tax, you’ll be paying considerably lower tax than other states.
- Cheaper electric bills: Electricity in Texas is deregulated, meaning you’re in a position where you can shop around, pick a supplier with a good deal and then pay less.
- Jobs available: The job market in Texas is thriving with thousands of new jobs appearing each month.
- Great food: A huge variety of food, but barbecue is still king here.
- Traffic is a pain: Texas is huge, and very few people live and work within a few miles. Therefore, you can expect to spend a lot of time commuting and sitting in traffic jams, especially around the major urban hubs.
- Genuinely everything is bigger: It’s not just the geographical size of Texas, but the cars, the roads, the houses, the portions, the personalities. Everything is bigger in Texas! Just how Texans want it to be.
Top 5 Reasons To Move To Texas In 2022
A Thriving Economy
The Texan economy is doing superbly well, which is saying something given the state of the world in general at the moment. Thousands of businesses are flocking to Texas to set up their foothold thanks to a number of quality of life improvements. Texas itself is an economic powerhouse, if it were its own country it’d be the 9th largest economy in the world! Above countries such as Canada! Unemployment is at a meager 4.2% (as of June 2022) and there are hundreds of thousands of jobs being created each year.
If you’re looking for economic stability, Texas is a sure bet. Especially if you’re interested in working with giants such as Amazon, Tesla, HP, and CBRE, all of which have moved their work into Texas.
Buy your own home easily
Texas is one of the most affordable states to purchase your own home. When comparable to California, some prices are around 60% cheaper. In fact, the average house price for an average house in Texas was only $184,700. Yes, house prices are on the rise but then they are everywhere, and even if they do rise in Texas, they’ll still be considerably lower than in comparable states.
Combine lower homeowner costs with no state income tax and you’ll be surprised at just how affordable Texas is.
Impressive Education Options
Schooling in Texas is thriving and produces some of the best results across the country. There are great schools across the state with some districts boasting results in the top 10% across the whole of the United States. Higher education is also impressive here, with well over 200 universities and colleges to choose from. The University of Texas at Austin and Texas A&M University are ranked among the top in the country, with the University of Houston and Texas Tech recognized for academic prowess too.
Incredible Food and Drink Options
If you’re a barbecue or Tex-Mex fan, well, you’re in luck. Texas is the home of barbecue and plays host to thousands of historical pit restaurants. Sure it’s not going to win you any awards for healthy eating, but when you’re ready for a bit of decadence there’s nothing better. The beauty of Texas being such as large state is that when you travel and explore you’ll find subtle and major differences in the cuisine. Central Texans like their barbecue dry without sauce, other areas smother their meat in it.
If you need a break from the hunks of meat, get yourself some Texas toast. This is the stuff of heaven, one slice is never enough. Beyond barbecue, you’ll find an incredible array of restaurants with cuisines from around the world in major urban areas such as Houston or Dallas.
There’s So Much To See
Texas is vast. It would take you months, or even years, to do justice to the vast amounts of entertainment options. If you’re the outdoors type then you can enjoy kayaking, canoeing, tubing, on one of Texas’ many rivers or lakes, or hiking through the impressive landscape including Guadelupe Park which has the highest point in Texas.
The history buffs amongst us will enjoy seeing the way the cowboys lived in many of the museums around the state, as well as visiting the bustling cattle center of Fort Worth.
Texas might not be for everyone, the heat alone can be enough to put some people off, but for thousands, there’s no place better to call their home. If you do decide to take the plunge and put down roots in the Lone Star State you can rest assured that you’ll be given a warm welcome, a huge plate of food, and live a happy life!
- Research your own circumstances prior to moving, are jobs in your sector available?
- You’ll be surprised when you do comparisons, chances are you’ll end up in a much larger home.
- Give yourself over to the barbecue. There’s no point in fighting it. It’s the best.
Leave a Reply