Homestyle has changed a lot in the last few years. We’re seeing an increase in people who want to bring their personality into their homes, whether through their choice of furniture or their approach to decorating. Many ways to achieve this include repurposing old items, getting outdoor fire bowls, or simply adding splashes of your favorite colors here and there. Here are some ideas for how you can give your home a unique style while still keeping it functional:
The Statement Ceiling
- Use bold colors to make a statement. A ceiling is the most prominent surface in a room, so why not take advantage of it? One way to do this is by painting your roof in a bright and bold color that’s different from the walls, or simply paint it white for an instant update.
- Highlight your ceiling with lighting. Ceilings can add height and volume to a room when painted white or light colors such as ivory or eggshell.
- Create unique patterns using stencils if you aren’t interested in painting your entire ceiling white (or another shade) yet still want some visual interest above everything else around us.
Floating shelves are a great way to display your favorite books, photos, or other mementos without occupying wall space. Here’s how to make them:
- Measure the width and height of your shelf surface and add 3 inches to each measurement.
- Cut two particle board pieces at those dimensions using a table saw or jigsaw.
- Sand down any rough spots in both pieces of particleboard and apply two coats of primer before painting them any color you like.
Light and Color in the Bathroom
The bathroom is often the smallest room in a home, so it should be easy to change your style. You can add more light to your space and make it feel more significant than it is. For example, consider using soft lighting above or below (or both) instead of harsh overhead lights. White walls will also help open up any room while adding an elegant touch. Also, consider using color as accents or focal points for extra visual interest: perhaps a vibrant rug or even paint on one wall.
A Moroccan Touch
Moroccan tiles are an excellent way to add some Moroccan flair to your home. These tiles are great for bathrooms, kitchens, entryways, or living rooms. They come in various colors and sizes, so you’re sure to find something that fits your design style. If you don’t want Moroccan tile all over the place, try adding some Moroccan lanterns instead! These will give off a soft glow of light while adding a touch of elegance and classiness to any room they’re placed in.
Every Picture Tells a Story
When you’re creating a gallery wall, you have to consider the size of your wall. If it’s small, the best way to fill that space is with one large piece of artwork or several smaller pieces. If it’s big, then go ahead and hang as many details as you want! Another option is using an art collection or collecting different things (like postcards). You could also use photos of your family and friends or even photos from travel adventures if you have them.
Outdoor Fire Bowls
Outdoor fire bowls are a fun and creative way to give your outdoor patio a new aesthetic. They’re also practical, as they allow you to enjoy the warmth of an outdoor fire without having to worry about smoke or ash getting all over the place.
When choosing materials for your outdoor fire bowl, consider how much time you want to spend maintaining it. A metal bowl will require more upkeep than one made with concrete or ceramic but is more durable and less likely to crack in cold weather.
You may have a good idea of how to style your home, but it can be hard to know where to start when you don’t see what works best for your space. If you want to try something new and innovative, look beyond these simple tips! Let us know your thoughts in the comments below.