Maximalism in decorating means more of everything; more accessories, more texture, more patterns and definitely more color. To understand the maximalist interior design style and adopt it in your space takes a lot of boldness, and some background knowledge otherwise you may end up with a busy and cluttered space.
What is Maximalist Decor Style?
Maximalist design is a type of interior design that takes its inspiration from maximalism, an art movement that prioritized excess and ornamentation. Maximalist interiors are characterized by their bold and vibrant colors, whimsical patterns, and eclectic mix of furniture and accessories. Maximalist interiors are often loud and busy, but can also be incredibly stylish and chic.
Eclectic maximalist interior design is the most popular type of maximalist interior.
Eclectic design is all about mixing and matching different styles and pieces to create a unique look. So, when it comes to eclectic maximalism, the more variety the better. Eclectic maximalists will mix modern furniture with antique pieces, bold patterns with subtle prints, and eclectic accessories with streamlined ones. The goal is to create a space that is visually interesting and eclectic, but still cohesive.
Who is Best Suited for the Eclectic Maximalist Blend?
Maximalist and Eclectic maximalist can be a lot of fun, but they may not be appropriate for every space. This kind of interior design is best suited for people who are creative, outgoing, and have a strong sense of personal style.
Extrovert personalities and people with a creative streak will appreciate the eclectic mix of furniture and accessories. These designs are not for those who prefer a more simplistic or minimalistic aesthetic so if you’re looking for something more understated, you may want to consider another style.
How Do You Create a Maximalist Decor Style?
There are no hard and fast rules when it comes to creating a maximalist interior. The key is to have fun and be creative with your choices. There are a few things to keep in mind, however, if you want to achieve the perfect maximalist look.
1. Display a gallery wall – One way to add visual interest to your space is to display a gallery wall. This is a great way to show off your eclectic taste in art and maximalist decor style. Hang different pieces of art, photos, or mirrors on your wall for a look that is both stylish and unique.
2. Use bold colors– Maximalist home decor is all about bold and vibrant colors. So, if you’re looking to make a statement, use bright shades like red, orange, yellow, or green. These colors will add energy and life to your space.
3. Add texture – Another way to add visual interest to your space is to incorporate different textures. This can be done by adding rugs, throws, or pillows in different materials such as wool, velvet, or leather. You can also add texture with your furniture by choosing pieces that are made of different materials such as wood, metal, or glass.
4. Accessorize– The best way to add personality to your maximalist interior is by accessorizing. Add different pieces of art, sculptures, or plants to your space for a look that is unique to you. You can also add personal items such as photos or mementos to make your space more personal.
5. Use lots of patterns – From wallpaper to fabric to tile, using a variety of patterns is a great way to add interest and personality to your space.
6. Be bold with your lighting – Maximalist interiors often use dramatic and over-the-top lighting fixtures to make a statement. So go big or go home!
What are Some of the Drawbacks?
While maximalist interior style can be a lot of fun, there are a few things to keep in mind before you commit to this style. First, maximalist interiors can be quite chaotic and busy, so if you’re someone who prefers a more relaxed and serene environment, this may not be the right style for you. Second, maximalist design can be quite costly, as it often requires purchasing a lot of furniture and accessories. And finally, maximalist interiors can be difficult to maintain, as they require regular dusting and cleaning to prevent the build-up of clutter.
If you’re like most homeowners in the United States, you probably like a more toned-down look for your interior design. You might have a few pieces of furniture that you’ve had for years, and you might switch out the curtains every once in a while. But if you’re looking to be bold and add some excitement to your home, it’s time to consider maximalist style interior design.
What is maximalism home decor and is it different from Eclectic interior design?
Maximalism is an interior design style that celebrates excess and opulence. Maximalism home decor therefore seeks to decorate with a wide variety of accessories and making sure there are zero undecorated spots in the space. Eclectic design is a mix of different styles, while maximalist design is an exaggeration of one particular style. Eclectic interiors can be more subdued, while maximalist interiors are usually bold and eye-catching. Both designs are about mixing and matching different elements to create a unique space although maximalist interiors tend to be more over-the-top and excessive than Eclectic ones.
What is maximalist decor style?
Maximalist decor style is about using a lot of color, patterns, and accessories to create a visually stimulating space.
What is possible to merge minimalism and maximalism in interior design?
It is. Did you know there is a medium between the two extreme interior design styles called maximal minimalism? How that is possible is taking some of the characteristics of maximalist interior design and minimalism and merging them together to form a harmonious blend. Maximal minimalism borrows the clean lines of minimalism and the bold color and patterns of maximalism to form a style that is simple in design but bold in character and happier.
How do I achieve a maximalist interior that does not look cluttered?
There is a vague line between a maximalist interior style and a cluttered space. To prevent this, you may do the following.
● Limit your color palette- don’t use all colors there are in the world in your maximalist interior. Instead choose 3 or 4 different colors with different undertones.
● Create one spot for the eye to rest. Inasmuch as everything is bold in maximalism interiors, curate a focal point that stands out from the rest of the room that the eye can focus on before it moves on to other areas of the space. This could be a sofa with different pillows varied by color, texture or pattern.
● Think out your style carefully- do not just collect items to fill your space so that it feels maximalist. Focus on items that are useful and can look good when paired with the other items in a room. This way you avoid collecting a lot of clutter.
Start small- slow decoration gives you time to pick good items. It also gives you time to save up and buy quality items as maximalism can drain your wallet if you don’t plan properly. Begin with major pieces and move on slowly to filler and decorative accessories.