Although it may seem weird, most upholstery is never cleaned regularly, including the fabrics you sit, live on, or lay on every day. This, in turn, leads them to collect a hefty amount of dust, fungus, germs, and everything in between. So, what’s the reason behind such blasphemy?
Well… there is none.
Albeit the upholsteries are something that we use on a daily basis, we don’t consider focusing much on them. And that’s what leads to various health issues, including breathing problems and skin irritation. But there’s something I can tell from my own experience.
Cleaning the upholstery in your house isn’t an easy task. It’s tricky and time-consuming. Also, who in their right mind would want to dabble in the dirt on their free day?
No one, right?
That’s why it might be best to opt for professional upholstery cleaning. They can examine the house and everything else in there accordingly and suggest how you can take care of them. Also, if you want, you can ask them to do the “job” for you as well. They’ll be happy to help you.
However, before you hire someone, who will offer upholstery cleaning in singapore, I think you should know about the process properly. So, let’s discuss a bit on that.
Understanding Upholstery Cleaning
Upholstery cleaning, as you can already guess, is the process of cleaning the fabric or clothes that upholster your furniture. Nonetheless, it’s certainly not as easy as it might sound.
To begin with, upholstery is usually made of relatively delicate fibers, like cotton. Therefore, you can’t use a rough product to clean or wash it. Besides, many pieces of furniture will also not allow you to remove the upholstery so that you can dabble it into the washing machine.
Upholstery cleaning will require proper know-how and special equipment.
Before you start cleaning the product, you’ll need to understand the type of washing it needs.
For instance, if there’s a spill on the upholstery, you will need to remove whatever particle it has on it. After that, mix water (two cups) with clear dish soap (one cup) and keep it for six or so minutes. Then, you can put it on the affected area and rinse it slowly. Once you’ve cleared the spill, you can blot the upholstery dry with a light-colored cloth.
The Secrets of Professional Upholstery Cleaning
In this section, we are going to share six ways you may get access to professional upholstery cleaning. So, without any further ado, let’s jump right into it right away.
1: Hiring a Professional Upholstery Cleaning Service
When it comes to cleaning your upholstery, the safest thing you can do is hire a professional. Being an expert in the art, they can help you with the following –
- They have a decent amount of knowledge regarding the cleaning solutions that can be used and the ones that can’t be. Moreover, they will also be able to identify a product and find out the most suitable cleaning approach for your purpose.
- Professional cleaners have access to specialized equipment and cleaning solutions that are not available to the general public. These are specifically designed for upholstery cleaning and can remove deep-seated dirt, stains, and odors effectively.
- Upholstery can be prone to various stains, such as food spills, pet stains, or ink marks. Professional cleaners have the knowledge and experience to identify different types of stains and apply the appropriate stain-removal techniques.
However, if you want to avail these benefits, you will need to find the right person to do your job. So, in that case, you will need to make the following considerations accordingly –
- Start by researching local upholstery cleaning companies in your neighborhood. Seek recommendations from friends, family, or someone who has used upholstery cleaning services before. Checking their reviews and ratings online can also be helpful for you.
- Look for companies that have a good track record and years of experience in the industry. Check if they specialize in upholstery cleaning and if their technicians are trained and certified in proper cleaning techniques.
- Ask the company about the cleaning methods and equipment they use. Ideally, they should use professional-grade equipment and safe cleaning products that are effective for different upholstery materials. The more you know about them, the better.
2: Going DIY – Effective Pre-Cleaning Preparations
However, if you don’t want to go for professional help, you can try a DIY process too. Yes, it will be a little difficult for you. But with the tips I’m going to write here, I’m sure you will do fine. So, without making any further ado, let’s get started with it.
So, the first thing you will need to do is prepare yourself for the job. And for that, you’ll have to go through five different steps altogether, including the following –
- Firstly, you must prepare the area where you want to clean the upholstery. Make sure to choose a well-lit space where you can comfortably examine the upholstery. Remove any cushions or covers that may be hiding the fabric or stains.
- Secondly, determine the type of fabric used for the upholstery. Look for labels or tags attached to the furniture that provide information about the fabric content and care instructions. Common upholstery materials include –
- leather, or
- Synthetic blends.
- Thirdly, inspect the entire thing for soiling or stains. Take note of their size, type, or the location of the same as well. Some of the common stains can include – pet and ink stains, general dirt or grime, grease or oil stains, etc.
- Different stains require specific stain removal techniques. So, do consult an upholstery cleaning guide or a reputable source for identifying appropriate methods for treating specific stains based on the upholstery fabric and type of stain.
If you are unsure about anything, be sure to talk to a professional before making any progress with the work. That way, it will be easier for you to ensure your success.
3: Advanced Upholstery Cleaning Techniques
The proceedings we had mentioned above are quite easy to do and don’t take too much time to complete. However, the same thing can’t be said about the techniques I’m going to tell you in this section. But if we’re talking about effectiveness, these are much more efficient here. So, it might be worth knowing to you if you are considering going DIY all the way.
- Steam Cleaning: In this method, you’ll require a steam cleaner and a cleaning liquid. In this case, the first thing you’ll need to do is use the solution on the affected area and dabble it with a cloth. Then, use the steam cleaner that will penetrate the fabric and remove stains, dirt, and bacteria along the way.
- Hot Water Extraction Method For Deep Cleaning: In this case, you will need to do a specialized machine, also known as a carpet cleaner. The process will begin with you mixing a cleaning solution with hot water in the tank of the machine. It will then have to be sprayed onto the surface to loosen and agitate the dirt. After that, you can use the steam of the machine to clean the product accordingly.
- Dry Cleaning Options For Delicate Fabrics: The best option in this aspect is surely using a vacuum cleaner. However, if you want, you can also go for spot cleaning or air refreshing methods. The latter might not be usable in every aspect, though.
Regularly scheduling professional upholstery cleaning approximately once a year helps preserve the pristine appearance of your furniture over an extended period. With their comprehensive set of tools and methods, professionals are equipped to properly care for and maintain your furniture. So, with them, you can free your time and relish it without concerns about cleaning. Recognizing the significance of your furniture as a valuable investment, it is essential to take all necessary measures to ensure its cleanliness and optimal upkeep.